As an experienced flat roof company, our customers benefit from an array of flat roofing solutions carried out by our expert and highly trained operatives.
We are experts in flat roofing, including:
- Bituminous felt
- Hot melt systems
- Single ply
- Liquid systems & GRP
- Green roofs
High Performance Felt Systems
- Bituminous felt roofing offers a cost effective solution for flat roofs. Traditionally these comprised 2 or 3 layers of bitumen felt laid in oxidised bitumen with solar reflective chippings to protect the surface from UV radiation. These roofs have a limited life expectancy. In order to overcome this, new polyester reinforced felts with polymer modified bitumen and mineral finishes were developed. This new material offers a longer life expectancy and overall performance.
- Our projects are undertaken using specialised systems from Alumasc, Bauder, Delta, Icopal and other leading manufacturers.
We can also offer guarantees of 10, 15 and 20 years!
As part of our service we can supply and install rooflights within your roof system. Rooflights provide an effective and economical way of introducing natural light and ventilation to rooms without access to external walls. In larger areas, continuous barrel rooflights can also be installed.
Houston Roofing is an experienced flat roof company. Hot melt roofing systems deliver an outstanding level of adhesion, strength and flexibility.
Hot melt roofing is an advanced membrane manufactured from a specially formulated combination of refined bitumen, synthetic rubbers, fillers and other additives. Due to its non-solid state it is perfect for working into awkward areas. This fully bonded application adheres seamlessly to the roof, reducing the possibility of water seeping beneath the membrane.
Hot melt systems are one of the only roofing systems on the market to have ‘self-healing’ properties. The roofing membrane is able to repair most puncture damage itself, eliminating the need for patchwork maintenance.
Hot melt waterproofing has a successful track record stretching back over 40 years and is used by many specifiers today.
Benefits of hot melt roofing include:
- Lasts for the lifetime of the building or structure on which it is installed. No future replacement costs.
- Applied as a liquid directly to the deck.
- No risk of water tracking below the membrane as the system is completely seamless.
- No need to incorporate falls into a design meaning less cost, weight and time.
- Safe, speedy installation.
- Excellent low temperature flexibility and adhesion.
- Can be readily applied in temperatures down to -18ºC on a clean, dry, frost-free surfaces.
- Not affected by rain, snow or frost immediately after its application.
- Can be walked on immediately after installation.
GRP & Liquid Roofing Systems
Our expert roofing operatives are approved contractors for the installation of many cold-applied systems, including liquid coatings such as liquid plastics and GRP. The main advantages of these systems are their flexibility and ability to be used for roof refurbishment or repair, saving the cost of stripping off the existing failed or degraded roof.
Key benefits of the liquid systems include their ability to offer a quick and easy solution to roofing repairs which can be applied in most weather conditions without the need for the application of heat - which eliminates fire risks. The versatile properties of GRP makes it especially effective in answering the challenges of difficult-to-cover areas. Our skilled flat roofing operatives can deploy the coatings to cover the most intricate of roof areas, regardless of any awkward detailing.
Single Ply Roofing Systems
Single Ply is an aesthetically pleasing roof waterproofing system. It is both tough, durable and can be adapted to suit most roofing requirements - including lead look, copper and standing seam effects.
Single-ply roofing systems are composed of a single-ply membrane, flashings, and adhesive. TPO, EPDM, and PVC are the three most common types of single-ply membrane systems. Since they consist only of a single layer of roofing material over insulation or the deck, these popular systems are very lightweight.
TPO (ThermoPlastic Olefin) roofing systems combine the long-term durability of rubber with the security of hot air welded seams. TPO’s advantages include:
- The most environmentally friendly of the single-ply systems
- No dioxins or chlorine
- Varying thicknesses and roll widths to meet your specific requirements.
EPDM (Ethlyene Propylene Diene Monomer) is a stable roofing alternative that withstands extremes of temperature and expands and contracts with the building. Key advantages are:
- Minimal maintenance
- Resistant to UV radiation and ozone
- Proven effective for more than 30 years
PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) Roofing Systems are among the easiest single-ply roofing membranes to install and heat-weld together. PVC systems provide:
- Ability to resist various chemical effluents
- Superior resistance to punctures and tears
- Especially suited for roofs that are exposed to grease, oils and many kinds of fuels
- Ideal in areas where acid rain or other forms of acidic outflow is a problem
- Maximum freedom of choice in roof design, performance and appearance
Green Roof Systems
Green roofs serve several purposes for a building, such as absorbing rainwater, providing insulation, creating a habitat for wildlife, and helping to lower urban air temperatures and combat the heat island effect.
Benefit of installing a Green Roof include:
- Reduction of storm water run-off
- Insulating qualities and reduced energy costs for building owners
- Improved air quality
- Improved acoustic performance
- New outdoor space
- Creation of wildlife and animal habitat
- Creation of wildlife and animal habitat
Green Roof technologies not only provide building owners with a proven return on investment, but also represent opportunities for significant social, economic and environmental benefits, particularly in cities.